Friday, February 25, 2011

Peace

     It's 5:15am when my phone rings.  After a week of worry, I hear his voice on the other end.  By the time we're done talking the sun has rose and I can see that it's snowed.  We say our goodbyes and reluctantly hang up.  He's told me some of the dangers he's faced that week, but says I don't need to know anything else.  "I've been shot at a few times but it could be worse." Most might pause if their spouse tells them that this was the best part of the day.  I don't even think he noticed how odd that statement actually was.  I lay in bed looking out the window at the snow, white and peaceful.  Not a noise around except an occasional wrestle of a child turning in their sleep.  I think of how totally opposite his surroundings are.  I try and imagine the noise and can't come close knowing only the sounds that I hear from over the phone.  So instead I try to take in as much of the peace that surrounds me and send it his way.  Now the babies are waking up and crying as children do upon waking, and I think of a conversation we had weeks ago...."Baby, can you just set the phone down and go about your day as usual?"  I set the phone down as I got the kids dressed and fed,  all while Matt listened on the nearby phone.  I know that the sounds of our family is what brings him peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment